13 Nov 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe



I'm a big fan of soups in the colder months of the year. They're fast and easy to make, and you can really get creative with with ingredients you use and a great way to eat the cold climate vegetables that are in season now.

I was honestly never a fan of chicken noodle soup because every time I've had it it's been out of a can. I just never made it myself! A couple weeks ago I thought I really need to change that sad reality, so I whipped up my own version. I loved it, and so did my fiancé. I've made it a few times since then so I thought I'd share my recipe so you can try it too and see if you like it as much as we do.

Watch my video tutorial below how to make it, and all the ingredients you will need!





Ingredients:

500g chicken meat (mix of breast & thigh meat preferred)
200g egg noodles of choice
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic, minced
quarter to half of celeriac root (or use 2-3 stalks of celery)
2 carrots
1 leek
small cabbage
1/2 of an acorn squash (optional)
1.5L chicken stock
salt & pepper
small bushel parsley
2 Tblsp. fresh lemon juice


1. Chop all the vegetables into bite-sized cubes. Cut chicken into small strips or chunks. Finely chop parsley.

2. Sear chicken meat in small batches in a pan on high heat until it develops a nice brown skin. Do in small batches to prevent juices from draining out. Set aside on a plate.

3. Heat some oil in a big soup pot, add onions and garlic and allow to gently brown for a few minutes. Add the celeriac, carrots, leek, cabbage, and acorn squash and stir fry on high heat for a few minutes.

4. Add chicken stock to the vegetable mix, bring to a boil and then allow to simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Add the chicken pieces to the soup, and add additional water if you feel there is not enough liquid. There should be enough stock to cover all the ingredients in the pot.

6. Allow to simmer for a few minutes so the flavors combine, then add your noodles of choice and cook according to package instructions. Once pasta has fully cooked, add the chopped up parsley, lemon juice, and season with salt & pepper before serving.


Hope you try out this recipe and let me know how you liked it!



3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I will try this this weekend. It's gotten really cold here in Indiana so soup is definitely in order

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:25 pm

    YES!!! Chicken soup recipe just what I needed for this cold weather season, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks sooo tasty, i'm saving this link :)

    ReplyDelete