15 Sept 2010

Essie Van D'Go Comparisons

Essie released Van D'Go nail polish in their Art of Spring 2010 collection, and it was an instant favorite for many nail polish connoisseurs. Some said it was a dupe for MAC Seasonal Peach which was a limited edition product released some years ago. While I don't have that particular shade, I thought I'd compare the Essie to some similar products I own.

Left to right: Barry M Baby Pink, Essie Van D'Go, Barry M Lilac

Barry M Lilac isn't really a good match at all as it has a cool lilac undertone, but not nearly as lilac as some other polishes. It's a really pretty polish in it's own right; I would describe it as a pink-lilac.

Left to right: Barry M Baby Pink, Essie Van D'Go, Barry M Lilac

And again the same swatches in slightly different lighting…



So really none are a true dupe of the lovely Essie. Van D'Go is a beautiful pastel peach shade, with just the right blend of coral, peach and pink. It's also really opaque, unlike other more sheer versions of this type of shade. It's not too orangey - much less orange than Tart Deco which was released with the same collection. The only gripe I have with it (and every other Essie polish I own) is the application. It just doesn't go on as smoothly or evenly as other brands, such as OPI. Something about the formula makes it really thick and almost gloopy, and I just hate the non-descript Essie brush which is round and thin and makes an even application really hard. I tend to get it all over my cuticles, and I often don't have time to spend on meticulous clean-up.



Nonetheless it's a really pretty color and I do love it! Who cares if fall is coming, this shade just makes me happy.

11 comments:

  1. The Essie polish is such a pretty peach shade. I didn't get the MAC polish. The other two polishes are pretty shades but no match. Shame. I'll have to start paying attention to brushes. I forget about them when I'm all done polishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really pretty peachy color. I'm right with you, though, I don't care for Essie's brushes. I like the China Glaze and the OPI though. What I don't like about Essie is the price really. Especially since most of their collections are reds, pinks, and purples. Nothing much new there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:50 pm

    I totally agree with you on Essie's formula & brush! But the color is awesome though, I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to find MAC Seasonal Peach at a CCO a few months ago and it is really pretty. You need three coats for opaqueness tho. In looking at these pics it seems like Van D'Go is actually a little more peachy, whereas the MAC shade is a real peachy pink. I really hope Essie comes around and reformulates their brush soon too. Even Rimmel and Sally Hansen are stepping up their game in this area so at $7 it seems Essie should do so as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:05 pm

    I have actually taken an OPI brush, cleaned it off and used it for another color that had a bad brush, worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink nailpolish makes gets me depressed. It's so pale and boring, and looks bad with my skin colour. I prefer more lively colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:27 am

    What a gorgeous polish! I am shopping for Essie Van D'Go tonight. Number one on my hit list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this color!!!

    Giveaway at my blog!!!

    http://mandyemais.blogspot.com/2010/08/2-sorteio-do-blog-comemore-1-ano.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia, wie kriegst du den Van d'go ohne streifen hin?
    Er trocknet sooo schnell, dass er immer streifig aussieht. Die Farbe ist der Hammer ich liebe sie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you tried adding in a nail polish 'solvent' to make it thinner when it gets thick? I usually do that with my favorite nail polishes when they thicken up after some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a pretty color! :)

    ReplyDelete