1 Jul 2011

LitChat: What I'm reading!


I've been so hooked on reading since getting my Kindle! I read a lot before but the Kindle is so convenient for me because I can take it along anywhere, read it on the train commuting for work, etc.

One of my favorite books I've read in recent times is Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's a dystopian story set in a future society - to say I've gotten hooked on the dystopia genre would be an understatement. Dystopia literature has been around for a long time, some of my favorite authors of this genre are Margaret Atwood, George Orwell, Stephen King, and Cormac McCarthy (his book The Road is probably my favorite dystopian novel of all time and it also won the Pulitzer Prize.)

Lately there's been a real revival with dystopian literature being released, many of them geared towards young adults. Nonetheless, I think Divergent is one of the best books of the genre to be released in recent times - unfortunately since this genre has become so popular, many less-than-stellar manuscripts are also being published just to cash in.

Watch my latest LitChat book review where I talk about Divergent, but also some other books I've been reading, including Poison Study and The Iron King, both fantasy stories.

You can also add me as a friend on Goodreads, it's a wonderful site for people who love to read to keep track of what they have read, write reviews, join groups and find new books to based on recommendations.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, could you make a review of the Kindle? I'm interested on buying one and I would like to know your experience with it. Thank you very much and btw you look stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like a Kindle too. It's so useful!:X The books you described seem so interesting. I will look for them after i finish with my list!:))

    Kisses,
    Anda.

    http://andazelenca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really enjoyed the Poison Study series (I mainly read fantasy and did feel that it was special), so I'd recommend you give the other parts a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dystopia is my favorite genre. Divergent sounds like a book I would like to read.

    Have you read Stephen King's, "The Gunslinger" series?

    ~elaine~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    Have you read Brave New World?

    I read it earlier this year and it's just one of those books that you can't get out of your head.
    I really really recommend it!

    ReplyDelete