8 Jun 2009

Review: Double Stack Palettes (matte and shimmer)

No flash:

With flash:


I got these palettes from the seller abestlife on eBay and I was happy to add these to my collection. I have the palette in both the shimmer and the matte variety, both palettes have 32 eyeshadows as the top layer, and 10 blushes as the bottom later - 42 pieces total. The blush palette is the same on both palettes, hence why I only photographed it once. The eyeshadow colors, however, vary slightly between the matte and shimmer palette, which I hope my pictures reflect. All the ingredients of these palettes are listed on the seller's eBay page.

Pros:
  • very good-value and contains both eyeshadows and blushes
  • great pigmentation especially on the shimmer palette
  • variety of colors - some neutrals and some very bright colors
  • eyeshadows are very easy to blend and apply smoothly on top of a base
  • blushes are also highly pigmented
  • easy to travel with as the case is compact and eyeshadows are not as fragile as the 120 palette
Cons:
  • Consistency is a little bit dusty - not chalky though. This is virtually the same for all these types of inexpensive palettes from eBay/Coastal Scents
  • blushes are a little bit hard to work with because they are so pigmented, need to be applied with a light hand or a skunk brush

I had a good experience with this seller - fast shipping, good packaging, no damages whatsoever. If you want to be on the safe side, get the additional insurance as these items are shipped from China, but the price is still lower than on other sites (ex. Coastal Scents.)

The inevitable questions...

Do you like these better than the 120 palette?
In some ways yes because the consistency of the shadows is better, they are easier to work with, and you get the added bonus of blushes included. On the other hand, you get more colors with the 120 palette so I'll still use that one too.
Do you like this better than the 88 palette?
I only have the matte 88 palette, but yes, I like the double stack ones more.
Which one would you recommend I buy?
I really can't answer that and I don't like telling people which one they should buy. I do have extensive reviews of all my palettes so please click on the tag "palettes" on the side of my blog to read them all, then make up your own mind on which one suits your needs the best.

14 comments:

  1. thank you for that and the linkage.
    i wanna buy these for my training case but never think to look into ebay for cheaper prices then coastal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:10 pm

    I buy from several brands MAC, Sephoria, Coastal Scents and have bought the palettes from EBAY all have something to offer. The palettes from Coastal Scents and Ebay - I use and look at the colors I use the most often and then at times get the same color from another brand that I like something else about it more. Coastal Scents has some good minerals etc though. Never rule out anything if it does what you want and it saves money. In the long run when you are wearing it who knows or cares what brand it is - it is how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the extensive review. It answered a lot of questions I had about these palettes, and the photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! Would you ever think of doing swatches for these? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh thanks for the review!!!
    I was so tempted on buying this palette than getting it from CS but wasn't so sure.
    Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
    If you have time head over to www.mrszeus.blogspot.com to play with us for Monday Matters.

    Hope to hear form you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you sooooo much for this. I saw someone with the 120 palette. Honestly it may have been you I think that may be what made me Subscribe to your blog but either way Thank you!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this review! I love how it is so detailed. You really answer a lot of unasked questions in it. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Im peruvian and Im really interested on buying the 120 color pallet, but im wooried about gets it can gets break during the flight.
    Is the color pallete is extreamly fragile that can mess up during the flight? o it better to buy this new pallete

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:21 am

    Hi julia i really like your tutorials i must say that you r doing a great job.Can you plz tell me if i have to pay any custom fee if i have to order from uk? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ariana5:39 am

    Hello, i need to ask, these are very similar to coastal scents doble stack, my question is, what is the difference between these and coastals? thanks so much for you time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:36 pm

    Thanks a lot! It was really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julia,
    I used your video of the Dramatic Smokey Purple eye for my high school performing group and it was so great. I was wondering which of your other videos also uses the double stack pallete?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:24 am

    Thanks for taking the time to review this product, it deff gave me a better idea of whether I want to buy it or not. Which I did, I just ordered it today so I will be back to give my opinion soon. Thanks

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:37 pm

    Do you have Coastal Scents 252 Ultimate Palette?

    ReplyDelete